The COSHH in a Food Environment course has been created with both employees and employers in mind and will provide the relevant information to manage the risks resulting from handling hazardous substances and therefore reduce accidents by learning about COSHH.
By completing this course you will be meeting your legal obligations and minimising the risk of bad publicity or lawsuits.
According to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), failure to recognise COSHH risks and implement the necessary control measures makes thousands of workers in the UK ill every year and costs the industry millions of pounds.
On completion of this course learners will be able to:
- Have an overall understanding of chemical safety
- Understand the legal obligations placed on the employer and employee
- Explain what falls under COSHH and what falls outside the scope of COSHH
- Understand the principles of COSHH risk assessments and control measures
- Explain the importance of using approved chemical and how to user them safely
You will develop and understanding of the following legislation:
- COSHH Regulations 2002
- Health and Safety at Work, etc. Act 1974
- The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999
- The Personal Protective Equipment at Work Regulations 1992
- Regulation (EC) No 1272/2008 (CLP Regulations)
When you’ve completed this online training you will sit an online test and, once successful, you can download your certificate.
- Course details
The subjects covered in this module include:
COSHH for food
- What is COSHH?
- Legal background
- Other relevant legislation
- What is a substance?
- What is a hazardous substance?
- Definition of a hazardous substance – COSHH
- What substances fall under COSHH?
- Examples of potentially hazardous substances
- Why is COSHH important?
- Potential health issues
- Occupational skin disease
- Occupational asthma
- Case studies
- COSHH requirements
- Assess the risk
- Identify hazardous substances
- Consider the risks
- Who should carry out the assessment?
- Describe what precautions are needed
- Recording the assessment
- Prevent or adequately control exposure
- Ensure that control measures are used and maintained
- Monitor the exposure
- Prepare emergency plans
- Informing, training and supervising employees
- Health monitoring
- What do you need to do as an employee?
- Bad practice
- Target Audience
This course is suitable for anyone who works a food environment, or work in an environment where occupation where substances that are hazardous to health are present.
On completion of this course you will be able to print a Virtual College certificate.
- CPD Accreditation
This course is CPD certified.
- Entry Requirements
There are no specific entry requirements for this course, the material is appropriate for all levels. However, the estimated level of audience knowledge is intermediate.
Approximately 1-2 hours. The length of time taken depends entirely on how quickly you can study and absorb the material. The course is self-paced with 61 interactive screens and multiple components. Your progress will be recorded throughout.
How it Works
This is a general guide to how the system works.
This is an online course, all the training will be taken through your browser window. There will be no face-to-face sessions with instructors nor will you receive any training material through the post. If you wish you may print out any page of the training material and may also print the notes you took during the training.
You can also revisit the training material at any time, even after you have completed the course.
The material for this course has been broken down into several smaller lessons, each lesson dealing with a specific area of the overall subject.
The lesson consists of a series of pages in which an instructor will talk you through the lesson material at a pace that suits you. Pages may also include supporting pictures, graphs, animation or extra sounds to help with the learning where appropriate. Some lessons will include challenges/quizzes to help you keep in touch and interested in the material.
Lessons can be taken in any order and each lesson may be PAUSED and RESUMED at any stage. When all lessons in the course have been completed our system will realise and automatically record that you have successfully completed the course.
The course is self-paced so you decide how fast or slow the training goes. You can complete the course in stages revisiting the training at any time.